Congratulations! You’re a bridesmaid: now let's get the party started
Attention: All bridesmaids report for duty immediately! Yes, that’s right: the second you said “yes!” to walking down the aisle with your sister, BFF or fave cousin, the duties start almost right away… and they don’t stop until after the very last champagne has been toasted and farewells have been said.
Being a bridesmaid or maid of honour can be stressful, often demanding, but most of all FUN. LENZO knows a thing or two about weddings, so we’re here to hold your hand through the bridal party process. So, grab that
bottle glass of red and sit down as we talk you through your bridesmaid duties before and during the wedding.
Bridesmaid duties: Before the wedding
She might already have an idea of her dream day, but a little bit of wedding inspo never hurt anyone! This is the time to pour over bridal magazines, look up wedding fashion trends, find unique wedding suppliers in the area, and so much more. Here’s just a few things you can do together:
- Discover top wedding trends
- Help her plan her engagement party and hens day/night
- Help her plan the bridal shower and/or hens
- Offer thoughts on wedding invitation designs
- Go bridesmaid dress shopping – and hold your tongue
- Go wedding dress shopping – and give your honest opinion
- Attend wedding expos
At this stage, whatever she asks for is your command (within reason!) So, whether she wants to go cake testing (yum!) or needs help choosing a wedding celebrant, it’s important to be ready and available, and offer support every step of the way… even when she has her bridezilla moments!
Bridesmaid duties: On the morning of the wedding
This is what you’ve been training for! Get ready on the day together (you might be asked to wear matching bridal robes, and help her into her wedding dress. If she’s wearing a veil, fix it into the bride’s hair.
Make sure she has had something to eat (and sneak her a glass of bubbly, too!) You’ll also need to help her in and out of the wedding car, and make sure her hair, dress, and makeup are looking absolutely perfect before she walks down the aisle.
Bridesmaid duties: During the wedding ceremony
Aside from paving the way down the aisle for her, you’ll also be expected to do a few more tasks. Some of these include:
- Ensuring everyone is in their correct position, ready for the bride’s entrance
- Constantly straightening the train of the bride’s wedding dress for photos
- Signing the register (if you’re the maid of honour)
- Holding her bouquet and look after it for the duration of the ceremony
After the wedding ceremony, the bride and groom may have decided to get professional photos of the bridal party. Throughout this point, it’s important to act as the bride’s mirror and help her look great in the wedding photographs: adjust any stray hairs, plump up her gown, add lipstick, and remove any signs of smudged mascara from those happy tears!
Bridesmaid duties: During the wedding reception
Now that the formalities are over, it’s time to party! Here’s just a few duties that you’ll need to undertake as a bridesmaid at the wedding reception:
- Be the first on the dance floor!
- Ensure nobody in the bridal party has drunk too much
- Make a toast to the bride and groom
- Ask guests if they have signed the guestbook
- As the night ends, pick up any hired decorations, and the wishing well, and keep safe until you return to the bride’s house
No pressure, but your main duty above all is to ensure your leading lady is having the time of her life on her wedding day! This is by no means an exhaustive list, but you should now have a bit of insight into just some of the tasks you’re required to do when the bride pops the question to you.
Love, LENZO x