Get the 'WOW' factor with these carrot cake donuts by New Zealand blogger + baker, 'Lydia Bakes'. And what's better, they're gluten and dairy free - meaning every guest will be able to dive in and devour!
Over to you Lydia:
These carrot cake donuts are nice, soft and fluffy and taste great with a double dipping of lemon glaze icing. You can decorate them how you like, I chose teeny tiny silver cachous because I think they look badass and crushed merinuges because I had them on hand from an Easter baking project I was working on. Most of the ingredients used here are easy to find in your local supermarket, happy baking everyone!
INGREDIENTS (makes approx. 14 donuts)
- 200g gluten free flour mix (I used Healtheries)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- ½ cup coconut oil (liquid)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 carrots grated (approx 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-2 tbsp. water
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 6 tbsp. melted dairy free margarine
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- Food colouring and sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and grease a donut tin with oil spray or coconut oil.
- Sift dry ingredients and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs lightly then add vanilla, oil and brown sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the carrot and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix together until incorporated, if mixture is too dry add a little water.
- Spoon into donut tin until about half full and spread with the back of a spoon to create a flat surface.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to stand five minutes in the tin then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool before decorating.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and add margarine and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- If the icing is too thick add a little milk, you want the icing to be smooth and spreadable, not too liquidy.
- Divide mixture between bowls and add food colouring (I used Americolor gels: Electric Pink, Electric Blue and Wilton gel: Lemon Yellow).
- Microwave icing for 5-10 seconds to slightly warm it and make it easier for dipping, mixing after heating.
- Dip donuts in icing and decorate with sprinkles straight away.
- Continue with each of your colours, when icing gets too thick or cold just pop back in the microwave for 5-10 seconds again.
PHOTOGRAPHY + RECIPE Lydia Bakes