LENZO reveals the costs of a children’s birthday party
We’ve all lusted after those Instagram or Pinterest parties that feature giant balloon installations, three-tier drip cakes, and OTT floral arrangements. But, like everything that is good in life, a great party comes with a price tag.
The truth is, a party that looks #AMAZING doesn't come cheap, and a lot of people are under the illusion that a Kardashian-style birthday celebration can be bought on a penny-pincher budget. We receive a lot of enquiries on the daily about the cost of a kid’s birthday party, which is why we decided to share with you the average prices of what you can expect to pay for hosting an unforgettable party.
So, how much should I spend on my child’s birthday?
A lot of parents want to celebrate their child’s birthday in a memorable way (and we don’t blame you – they only turn 3 once!) If you’re wondering how much to spend on your kid’s party, there’s no hard and fast rules.
The average cost of a 1st birthday party can be anywhere from $300 - $10,000+ (yes, really!) This is because first birthday parties have now reached the same status as milestone events like 18th, 21st, and 50th birthdays.
You might be wondering if those figures are a bit indulgent. However, when it comes to parties, every little detail adds up and aesthetics matter (I mean, if nobody Instagrammed it, did the party even happen?)
At LENZO, we live by the motto, “If it’s important to you, it’s not excessive.”
So, we’ve broken down the elements that you might need to consider if you want to host that Insta-worthy event.
Kids birthday party checklist and prices
- Tableware (from $1 - $20 per item): This includes linen, cutlery, glassware and plates. You can hire party tableware or you can choose to buy it and reuse for another event.
- Invitations (from $5 - $30 per pack): Generic printouts might work for a themed party, but if you’re looking for something unique, you’ll need to hand over more for handcrafted kids invitations.
- Furniture hire (from $3 to $40): If you’ve got 20 little guests coming, you’ll need to accommodate for their small bodies. This means hiring chairs and tables for their height level. Don’t forget that you’ll also need to lay out the food and desserts – sometimes on separate spaces – so more tables might be required for this.
Sue from Mini Party People tells us,
“Our dream is to make your child’s party one to remember. Our themes are a combination of hire furniture and store items – from pretty pink to circus stripes or racing cars – and are made to make life easier for your party planning.”
- Catering (from $60 to $2000): While you can do some fun DIY fairy bread or cookies using custom cookie cutters, you might want to hire servingware to present the food on your tables nicely. Of course, there's always gourmet catering, where you can have everything on the menu completely customised. And, if you really want to wow your guests, you could always hire a gelato stand (yes, it’s a thing and it’s delicious!)
- Balloons (from $1 - $2500+): A single balloon can cost .40c (helium not included), but if you’re thinking of wowing your guests with a 5m custom balloon installation or arch, pricing starts at about $800. You can also buy DIY balloon garlands, which cuts labour costs and looks just as pretty.
Why and how do balloons fall into the thousands price tag? Sarah from Belle Balloons tells us:
"In the past, balloons were seen as a cheap decorating option, but we are now seeing them in ways that far exceed the old 'three helium balloons tied to a weight.' Balloon installations are an art form, and my team and I attend many training sessions to perfect our art. New and beautiful styles and effects are coming to life every day, and just like a florist or a painter, you're hiring a professional to come to your house/event space to create that personal design for you."
BUY: balloon installation
- Decorations (from $2 - $500): Neon signs, tassels, paper fans – there’s no limit as to how you can decorate your space. There are hundreds of kids decorations to choose from, such as streamers, cushions, confetti, and pinatas!
Astrid from PAPERplayground perfectly explains the reason behind pricey decorations:
“Branding or designing customised party goods is as good as creating a logo for a company... and more. Custom-made and personalised: this is the luxury and exclusivity you are paying for – keepsake items you can treasure, a party that is different, with one-of-a-kind, well-designed partyware with your branding, and definitely NOT something you can just pick up from the local shops!"
- A professional photographer (from $250 per hour): You’ll want to remember the day for years to come, and what better way to do this than to hire a professional photographer to capture every smile, sigh and laugh? Another option could be to hire a photo booth, which can cost upwards of $700 to hire for the day.
Custom-designed cake + cake topper (from $150) or cupcakes (from $55): Let’s face it: the cutting of the cake is the main event at any party. You can opt for cupcakes, or a one-tier (or three-tier!) cake. And don’t forget that cake topper.
Nikki from The Sweet Event Cupcakes tells us:
“There is always that heart-warming feeling after creating customised cupcakes or cakes for a kid’s party and seeing their face light up when they first see their desserts! In comparison to generic birthday cakes, the creativity, time, effort, and detail that goes into designing custom cakes is truly worth every cent, because the reaction and happiness you receive from the birthday child is always priceless! It can really make any child feel special as they have their own favourite cartoon, movie character, or theme custom-designed cake or cupcakes just for them on that day!”
Party favours (from $4 each): Thank your guests for spending the day with you by giving them little goody bags or boxes as they leave. The party bags alone can cost $4 each, but you’ll also need to fill them with little gifts, such as candy, colouring books, or slime.
Children’s entertainer/s (from $140 per hour): Fancy balloon twisting or a professional face painter at your kid’s party? Keep the children (and adults!) fully absorbed with an entertainer… or two.
Rachael from Lil Critters Children's Entertainment reminds us:
“You put so much time and money into planning your little one’s parties and come party day, you spend it running around, playing games, and making sure all the kids are happy. You miss out on enjoying what you have created! That’s where we come in: so you can spend the day catching up with other parents and watching the kids enjoy the day while our professional and skilled storytellers, actors & performers take care of entertaining the kids!"
- Venue (from $500): Going somewhere new for a birthday is always exciting. There’s plenty of kid-friendly venues in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and beyond – but be prepared to pay a little bit more if you want that private function room (especially on a Sunday afternoon!)
- Event stylist (POA): Hiring an event stylist (such as yours truly!) means you’ll have the sole responsibility of just being in attendance while the event stylist organises and supervises the entire party. That’s a lot of free time for you!
- Clothing (from $100): It’s a special occasion, which calls for a special outfit! A cute little dress or suit can start from $100.
Something to keep in mind...
Everywhere we look, there’s incredible ideas and eye candy content right in front of our noses – we even showcase a ton of kids party inspiration on The LENZO Edit. And, we’ll be the first to admit that with so many more styling options than ever before, it’s hard not to get carried away with wanting it all!
At the end of the day, as your little one turns a year older, all they want is to be surrounded by family and friends and showered with hugs and kisses (and maybe a little homemade cake!) This is something money can't buy!
However you choose to celebrate their special day, you can rest assure that it will be their favourite birthday yet!
Party inspiration at every corner on LENZO
We hope by now that you have a bit of an insight into the true cost of kid’s parties. Feeling overwhelmed? We’ve got your back – check out our ultimate list on how to plan a kid’s birthday party. From choosing the theme to shopping for decorations online, you’ll find everything you need to know in order to host an unforgettable celebration for your child.
Love, LENZO x
SHOP KID'S BIRTHDAY PARTY ONLINE
Written by Melbourne blogger Maree Mikhaiel