Kid’s love parties, that’s just an obvious fact of life! Anything that involves time with their friends, food and running around like the crazy little people they are, and they’re on board. Kids birthday parties are an important part of childhood, with most people looking back on their childhood and fondly remember all the fun kids parties they went to, both their own and that of their friends.
They’re loud and messy and fun. And there’s no denying kid’s birthday parties often require quite a lot of effort on their parent’s part. With so many details to consider, such where to host it, will there be a theme, what decorations will you get, who will make all the food? The questions you’ll ask yourself will be endless.
But that’s why we are here to help.
At LENZO we love nothing more than a party, and we love turning a good party into a great one.
We bring together the best in the party business with an inventory pool of services, hire stock and products to bring your party to life. We’re your one stop kids party shop, from the cake to the entertainment.
Kids birthday party themes
Oh boy, where to even begin? There are themes galore to choose from when planning a children’s birthday party. Now of course I’m sure your child might tell you the sort of party they want, in which case you’re already on your way, but if not then it doesn’t hurt to know what kids birthday party ideas are out there and make a suggestion or two of your own.
Choosing the theme of your kid’s birthday party will determine a lot of the other details involved, from the decorations you’ll need, to the type of food and even the venue. Once you’ve chosen the theme you can get started on planning everything else!
Some popular kid’s birthday party themes
• Princess or superhero party Always a popular kids birthday party idea, this one can be combined so that boys and girls can dress up as their favourite characters. You can have games and activities suited to the theme as well as putting on a princess or superhero movie for the kids to watch when they need a rest.
• Beach or pool party If your child’s birthday falls within one of the warmer months, then a party at the beach or a pool could be a popular choice. Something to consider with this kind of party is asking a few parents if they wouldn’t mind helping out with supervising the kids.
• Space party Dim the lights and stick up glow in the dark stars, get moon shaped balloons and alien cut outs. A space theme has so many possibilities for games and table settings that you can really create something out of this world!
• Tea party You could set up some tables and chairs outside, some cute little teapots and serve iced tea and finger food. Whether you go for a traditional tea party setting or something more Mad Hatter style, you’re only limited by your imagination.
There really are an unlimited number of different kid’s birthday party themes to choose from!
Children’s birthday party invitations
Birthday party invitations are where you need to have all your details worked out. Before these get sent out you need to have your venue booked, theme chosen, so be organised and don’t leave anything until the last minute. This includes sending out your invitations!
Details to include on your kid’s birthday invitations:
• Guest list – talk to your child about who they want to invite, but have a think early if you want it to be a smaller party and then let your kid know they can only invite a certain amount of people.
• Addresses – get the correct address information for everyone who is invited and check you have names spelt correctly. If your child is just going to handing the invitations out at school, the address isn’t such a concern.
• RSVP – set a RSVP date with enough time for people to respond, that also gives yourself plenty of time to plan for numbers. Clearly include your contact details, either a phone number or email so that it’s easy for people to get in touch with you.
• When – whether you’re having the party on your child’s birthday or a weekend on either side of it, state the day of the party as well as the time guests are expected to arrive.
• Where – once you’ve chosen the location of the birthday party make sure you know the address and have it on the birthday invites. Even if the party is at your home and most of the guests know where it is, include the address just to be safe and avoid any confusion.
• What – if your kid’s birthday party involves a particular activity, theme or costume requirement, be sure to include that information on the invite so the parents all know what’s involved on the day of the party.
Kid’s birthday party: To dress up, or not to dress up?
A big question to ask yourself, and your child, is will it be a dress up party? There’s no denying kid’s costume parties are a rite of passage that all children must experience at least once in their life
Dressing up is a lot of fun, but it also requires a little more effort on the guests’ part, so be aware that some parents might have the time or means to get a costume for their child. It’s a good idea to have some spare dress up accessories just in case anyone arrives without a costume and doesn’t want to be left out, whether it’s a hat, mask or cape.
Kid’s party venues
The decision of whether you have your kid’s birthday party at home or somewhere else can depend on how much you want to have to deal with the clean up afterwards. It also might depend on how many children are invited to the party; if it’s rather a large guest list then you might look for a kids party venue that offers a larger space, but in the same regard you might choose to have it at home to prevents high costs of hiring a venue for a big group. there are plenty of kids birthday party venues that cater for groups of all sizes and all ages.
You won't struggle to find great party places for kids, there are plenty of venues in and around Melbourne and the rest of Australia that cater for kid’s birthday parties. And having a birthday party at a fun venue has become very popular of late, as it is often the easier option for busy parents.
Some popular kid’s birthday party venues include:
• The Zoo –the zoo has a kid’s party room available for hire
• The Aquarium –under the sea fun for all the kids
• Bounce –a fun activity centre where the kids can literally bounce off the walls
• Ten pin bowling –bowling alleys area popular choice for kid’s birthday parties
• Games arcades –the kids can go crazy with all the games they could want
Birthday party decorations
Your birthday party decorations can really help you set the scene of the party. You can go for a particular colour scheme or pattern. If it’s a space party include hanging stars and planets, or for a farm party you could have your own scarecrow or bales of hay. You can get really creative with decorations and have as much or little as you like.
You can always create the decorations yourself if you’re feeling crafty, but if you’re low on time there are plenty of places to hire party decorations from. You can also hire bigger sets of furniture if you need tables and chairs that are more in line with the theme aesthetic you want. If you end up booking a special venue for your kid’s birthday party they might organise all the decorations for you, so be sure to chat to them about what you want and see what they offer.
Not sure where to start with party decorations? Some of our favourite suppliers that you can shop directly from us are:
• Ruby Rabbit Partyware - a curated selection of the most beautiful hand-picked party decorations. With themes ranging from Unicorn to Rockstar, Ruby Rabbit Partyware really is a one stop shop.
• Little Boo Teek - one of the most extensive ranges of partyware on the web, Little Boo Teek have decorations to match any budget.
• Love Board - want something a bit more quirky in terms of decorations? Love Board stocks amazing decorations with pop culture references - we love!!!
• Invite Me Shop - A partyware shop in Yarraville VIC, filled to the brink with all the bits and pieces you need to create an amazing event!
• Favor Lane - one of the most beautifully stocked partyware shops, filled with only the best brands and most incredible party products!
• Paper Eskimo - If you want a matching set of paper plates, cups, straws and other decorations, Paper Eskimo is your new go to!!
Don’t forget the kids party food!
Food is an important factor for any party, but when it comes to kid’s birthday parties sometimes even more so. Most people know that some kids never seem to stop eating and one of the worse things at a party is running out of food, so plan enough kids party snacks to ensure no one goes hungry. Once you’ve got your guest list and RSVPs and you know the total of people coming, you can start thinking about how much food you’ll need.
There are endless fun kids party food ideas to choose from, but to make it really personalized, you could match your kids party food to the theme of the party. the kids will be sure to love it.
Make yourself or hire catering
If you’re making the kids party food yourself think of easy to make, easy to eat foods, like party pies, sausage rolls, finger sandwiches, fruit, carrot sticks, fairy bread, cupcakes and chips. Don’t worry about making anything too fussy, as kid’s are generally happiest with the simple party foods. And when it comes to the cake, if you’re a baking wiz make sure to give yourself enough time to bake and decorate it.
If cooking and baking isn’t your thing, which is totally fine, look into a catering service to provide the food for kids parties, or even ask a family member or friend if they wouldn’t mind helping you. And as for the dessert, there are plenty of amazing bakeries and cake shops that can create something special for your child’s birthday.
Healthy options and special requirements
Having a good balance of naughty snacks and healthy foods for the kids to eat is important to ensure the kids don’t just eat sweets. Often when you have fruit available kids will eat it without question.
Be sure to check if any of the kids coming have any allergies or special food requirements that you should know about. Include a question about it on the birthday party invites so parents can give you any information, then you can provide alternative party food and drink options for any kids that need it.
Food for any adults coming
If you know that a few parents or even your own family members are coming along, it’s nice to have some food available for them too just in case. You don’t need to go crazy here, just offer a more grown up alternative to fairy bread for those who’d like it.
For kids parties, some of our favourite food + dessert suppliers include:
• Lamanna Patisserie - Based in Melbourne, Lamanna patisserie is our go to for birthday cakes and other treats to serve at a kids party.
• Deliciously Yours - Carol is such a beautiful person to work with and will create bespoke birthday cakes and sweets to perfectly match your theme.
• Bakedown Cakery - bright coloured chocolate? Yes, please!!!
It’s all fun and games: kids party entertainment
Unless you having the kids party at an activity venue where the entertainment is provided, it might be worth coming up with a few party games to keep the good times going. Now kids are often very good at entertaining themselves, especially with friends around, but it doesn’t hurt to have a few kids party entertainment activities planned.
There’s always the classic kids party games like pass the parcel or musical chairs that kids love or you can come up with activities that suit the theme you’ve chosen.
It’s up to you whether you want to play kids party music during the party, most of the time kids will be busy enough playing that they won’t pay much attention to music unless it’s part of a game. But it’s a nice touch to put together a playlist of kids party songs, maybe some of your child’s favourite songs, or songs that fit the theme of the party like The Wiggles or Disney music.
Kids party bags are always a hit at kid’s birthday parties, it’s a great way to say thanks for coming and ensures all the kids will leave with some treats and good memories of the day.
Make a lasting impression with your kids birthday party
While kid’s birthday parties can be a lot of work, they’re also very worth it just for how happy your child will be. Also talk to your kid and get their input on the type of party they want and then you can decide together what’s possible.
And if you’re really stuck, then let LENZO help you create a birthday party your kid will always remember!